Sunday, July 1, 2012

To Save a Buck: Windows Media Center

I’m branching out from SharePoint to discuss anther Microsoft Technology that I’m getting more and more familiar with. Windows Media Center is a free program that is included in most versions of Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Assuming you have a tv tuner (around a $50 purchase) you can pause and record tv and connect to many online resources such as Netflix.
Several months ago, in an effort to cut down some monthly bills while attempting to maintain the same lifestyle we got rid of TiVo and switched Windows Media Center to manage our tv addiction viewing. There were some initial bumps like finding a good remote and figuring out how to watch recorded tv in other rooms, but we’ve been using it for full time for a few months and it’s been great.

The guide showing what's currently on tv.

The start menu where you can watch tv, movies, and browse through pictures that are on your computer.


The area where you can view shows you've recorded.


Have you used technology to save money?

3 comments:

  1. An interesting question Jodi! I know for me, technology has always been an integral part of my life. I got my first computer when I was four, so I'm not sure I could live without technology at this stage. To answer your question directly, I think just about everything I do uses technology and saves money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi, about three years ago we moved to the middle of nowhere Tennessee. It was beautiful but very fews options for cable. And, as one might expect, very few options, and very expensive. So, we made due watching Netflix and Hulu on our tv. We had a cord that hooked from the computer to our TV (this was before we realized that we could use Google TV to accomplish this), and had an iHome speaker connected to the laptop for volume and that was how we survived without cable for 3 years. It literally save us maybe a couple thousand dollars. When I think about how many trips I have booked through Expedia, or deals that are ONLINE ONLY and not in stores, things really start adding up. One Christmas, we bought everything online and we spent a fraction of what we normally do, because we had free shipping. Even when it comes to buying books. Some books you can purchase on a Kindle cheaper than buying the book in stores, especially if it's new and only comes out in Hardback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you think of sites like groupon, ebay and craigslist the "deal" power out there is amazing!

      Delete