Monday, October 28, 2013

PLE Reflection


Initially I was daunted by the requirement to include 10 online communities in my diagram. I didn’t think I used that many, but I started adding up my list and was surprised to see that I probably could have included a few more!
 

To create my diagram I thought about how and why I use social media…I felt there was a pretty clear distinction between my work life and personal life, but the reasons why I used them were the same for both: connect, share, and learn. Whether it’s connecting to friends or coworkers, sharing on my personal blog or my blog related to work technologies, or learning about SharePoint or how to clean my dog’s ears (yes, I did a search on YouTube for that) – the underlying reasons for my personal learning networks are the same – it’s just the compartments of my life that change. That idea of compartments it what sparked the idea of the honeycomb. Even though I often segment my usage everything is also connected…I often visit YouTube from Facebook and Instagram from Twitter…

Several of my classmates grouped their social network usage by purpose, Jessie noted usage for work and social but added the additional element of school which I thought was fitting. Christina had a similar “connect, share, learn” theme but with the element of reflect which I really liked. Nona and Kara both grouped their networks by purpose like professional development, presentation, etc, but Nona took the unique spin of showing how everything flowed together like blood through the human body.

Several of my classmates took an approach that was different than separating by usage - I really liked Cindy’s take on how the larger the icon was the more prevalent her usage was. Betty used a similar method where the distance the icon was from her name was equivalent to the frequency of use.

It was fun to see everyone’s creative juices flow and how one topic could manifest itself in such a variety of ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment