Friday, September 20, 2013

Digital Footprint


I recently saw a story on the Today Show that chronicled the digital footprint of one of their interns for a day. Some of the “prints” were obvious – such as posting a status on Facebook but others I hadn’t initially thought of such as going through security to get to the subway or having a traffic camera scan for facial recognition. I was reminded once again of how connected we are and how much information is being tracked.

Sometimes I love my digital footprint, like when I connect with an old high school or college classmate on Facebook. Sometimes I am terrified of my digital footprint, like when I hear a story about child predators and I think of all the photos I have of my kids online. I’m a “mommy blogger” and while I am careful about what I post I know my digital footprint is larger than most.

I have done Google searches on myself in the past so I wasn’t really surprised by anything I found while researching my digital footprint this week. However – I get frustrated with Facebook because as their site continues to change I feel like it exposes more and more and my “public profile” without me realizing it. It reminds me of this comic I saw (on Facebook no less).

photo credit: someecards.com

No comments:

Post a Comment